National Margarita Day is on February 22, but how much do you know about the popular cocktail?
We have put together seven interesting facts about margaritas that you should know.
- The origin of margarita is not certain. There are different versions of how and when it was invented and who invented it, but no one is sure about which is correct.
- The first frozen margarita machine was invented by a high-school drop-out, Mariano Martinez, in 1971.
- The world’s largest margarita was made at the Flamingo Hotel’s Margaritaville Casino in Las Vegas; the drink, named “Lucky Rita,” was 8500 gallons (32,176 litres), served in a 17-foot-tall tank, and took 60 people 300 hours to create.
- The world’s most expensive margarita cost $1200 and was sold in 2013 at the 230 FIFTH Rooftop Bar & Penthouse Lounge in Manhattan. Half the money was donated to a charity of the drinker’s choice.
- Margarita can also be taken in fried form.
- The first known publication of a margarita recipe was in the December 1953 issue of Esquire.
- In 2008, the margarita was the most ordered mixed drink according to the Cheers On-Premise Handbook, with Americans consuming 185,000 margaritas per hour on average.
Image source: pexels.com